Under the provisions of Executive Order (E.O.) 13526, which replaced Executive Order 12958 and its amendments, you may request that the Department of State Office of Inspector General (OIG) conduct a declassification review of specific classified material that you are able to reasonably identify. If you would like to file a request for mandatory reclassification review, you should specifically mention mandatory declassification review, or MDR, under E.O. 13526.
More information is available in the Information Access Guide and 22 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 171, Subpart C – Executive Order 12958 Provisions. You may also wish to view Executive Order 13526 "Classified National Security Information."
- Code of Federal Regulations 'Executive Order 12958 Provisions' (22 CFR 171, Subpart C)
- Code of Federal Regulations: 'Security Information Regulations' (22 CFR 9)
1. In order to request MDR, you must be seeking information that is classified and the following conditions are met:
- The request for a review describes the document or material containing the information with sufficient specificity to enable OIG to locate it with a reasonable amount of effort.
- The information has not been reviewed for declassification within the past 2 years.
As a general rule, MDR requests should be filed only for the declassification and release of information known to be classified. MDR requests will not be opened for general requests for information, though such requests may be an appropriate subject of a FOIA request.
Although the purpose of an MDR is to provide declassification review of classified material, material that has been declassified pursuant to the review may nonetheless be withheld for other reasons, most typically because withholding is required by the FOIA.
If OIG has reviewed the information within the past 2 years, or the information is the subject of pending litigation, OIG shall inform the requester of this fact and of the requester's appeal rights.
2. You may mail, fax or e-mail your request for a Mandatory Declassification Review of Department of State, Office of Inspector General records to the following:
U.S. Department of State
Office of Inspector General
Office of General Counsel
Washington, DC 20520-0308
Facsimile: (703) 284-1866
E-mail: [email protected]
Please write “Mandatory Declassification Review" on the envelope or the subject line of your fax.