Under Subsection (a)(2) of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), agencies must make four distinct categories of records affirmatively available for "public inspection and copying." These "reading room" records consist of:
- Final opinions and orders rendered in the adjudication of administrative cases;
- Specific agency policy statements;
- Certain administrative staff manuals;
- Records disclosed in response to a FOIA request that "the agency determines have become or are likely to become the subject of subsequent requests for substantially the same records; and
- A general index of the records referred to under (4) above.
Frequently Requested FOIA Records